Sunday 9 August 2009

Goldilocks in New York





Talk about hard to please - I've been in NY for less then a week and changed my hostel three times - the first one was too far north, the second one was too expensive - the third one sadly isnt just right- but the location is perfect and its dirt cheap - it does resemble one of the prison cell blocks in alcatraz - pretty grim!

But other than that New York continues to entrance me more each day - sadly ill be leaving tomorrow, but thats ok - ill be back in a couple of weeks time before flying home. 

I've spent today trying to do some of the obligatory touristy stuff. The empire state building experience begins in a pretty horrible way. hundreds of people being herded like cattle through roped zig-zags, but OH MY LORD it is so worth it. The views make the city even more beautiful. Breathtaking!!!

And if I thought LA train station was classy - it ain't got nothing on Grand Central!!!! Could've stayed there for hours soaking up the atmos.

On a slightly less classy note - I do appear to have been eaten alive in the night - but I guess it cant all be a bed of roses ;)






2 comments:

  1. Eaten alive - bedbugs? That means you had better check your backpack and luggage so you don't bring them with you and spread them. They are about the size of an apple seed. For the sake of whatever hotel and plane and train you are about to use - please check to make sure you aren't carrying them. Too bad I don't live right down in the city, you could have stayed with me.

    Did I tell you last time you were here that in the 70s the city wanted to tear down Grand Central and put something ugly and modern in it's place like Penn Station? It's true. (And there used to be a beautiful old Penn Station. You can google for photos). Well Jackie O got some friends together and they formed a Landmarks Preservation Committe and saved Grand Central. If not for them, the wrecking balls would have leveled it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha - well im hoping its not bed bugs- but i will check my luggage just to make sure :)

    its heartbreaking when beautiful buildings are torn down in the name of progress isnt it!?

    ReplyDelete