Sunday 26 April 2009

Feeling Grand!











I'm using a very slow unreliable computer in a Flagstaff internet cafe - so this may be successful - but I'll have a go at uploading a couple of pics. The Grand Canyon proved to be everything everyone said it would be. Every corner turned and every new viewpoint caused my jaw to hit the floor. It is partly the size - huge huge landscapes - too much for the eye to take in. Our tour guide was excellent - he had a laid back, throw it together attitude towards guiding us - and really seemed to enjoy the experience. Walking down into the chasmic canyon was a breeze - although I did nearly lose my footing several times. Walking back up out of the canyon was NOT fun!!! Every part of me aches today - two miles uphill hiking is hard work!
We also had the coldest windiest picnic ever - but my canyon buddies were good fun and we all ended up in the bars at the end of the day - and I also met up with Manchester Dan again - its cool when fellow travellers paths cross with your own over several states.
Well I've managed to catch up with my laundry, washed the canyon dust out of my hair and recover from a mild hangover - so I'm set for my 26 hour journey to San Fran :)

I'm just adding as a postscript that I later discovered that the guy who sweetly walked me home last night never made it back to rejoin the others in the bar, but ended up spending the night in jail for walking past the barrier on the level crossing - harsh!!!

2 comments: