Saturday 18 April 2009

From Chicago to New Orleans...





...is a very long way. The train journey was not uneventful either - we had problems with the remote "bridge holding down" system not working - so had to wait about two hours for a guy to come and do it manually - technology is hindering me on all levels right now! There appears to be only one internet cafe in NO as well - and the connection is slow and the software doesnt like dealing with my camera - hence the sudden lack of uploads - but im gonna give it a go today. Having said that - they are very very helpful.
I was really sad to leave chicago - especially as I left the best til last. Being the naive, trusting person i am - i let my taxi driver take me on a midnight tour of chicago - for free - on my last night. It was stunning - and he really was a sweet guy, and doing it because he wanted to.
As famous as chicago is for its architecture - i prefer the New Orleans one and two storey buildings - they are so pretty. As i dont have much time here - I treated myself to a swamp tour yesterday. It was cool. We saw snakes and gators and and racoons and heron. Today I'm doing the french quarter - ive hit town just as a free festival started - but I get the feeling festivals happen most weekends here.
The highlights of my visit here so far - riding the bus with a woman in her eighties wearing purple fairies in her her - on her way to charm the crowds outside the gumbo house with her music. Oh and also the cool people I've met of course - I should update this to say that includes a very talented danish trumpet player :)

2 comments:

  1. Blue fairies eh? I expect to see them in your hair next time I see you! How's the camera? I'm gonna get one before I head off to Oz in June!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha - you are such a copy cat ;) but yes you should - then i can see how stunning oz is! im not sure i could quite pull off the purple fairies look :S

    ReplyDelete