Monday 6 April 2009

New York





Only just managed to make it in through the door though. Having arrived at the JFK airport with only a day bag and small back pack, immigration were quite concerned about my lack of luggage. They took me aside to have a little chat. But I managed to convince them that I would be fine and could manage to get to the shops if I needed anymore clothes etc.
       So having found my hostel, after deciding to get off at the wrong subway stop and take the scenic route, I was greeted by a "lets keep the cockroaches out" sign on my dorm door ;) but actually the place is growing on me - it has a basic charm.
       I have fallen instantly in love with New York. This town has a vibe like no other. I went off exploring lower eastside last night - wanting to catch some live music at The Living Room. Popped into a pizza/pasta place first for a bite. There were two guys there eating pizza with a few friends. They started playing guitar and singing - wowsers - they had such a good sound. So I ended up staying there for a while and joining in with their selection of Stevie Wonder, Bob Marley and George Michael covers. Careless Whisper never sounded so good ;)

Oh yes - and that is Elvis pulling his luggage along Bowery!

4 comments:

  1. that glass building is a condo at Astor Place. People were so mad when it was built because it does not fit in with the architecture of the area. My friend has a pub around the corner from there. Also the famous venue Joe's Pub is right down the block from this building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea this blog!! Thanks for sharing it with us!
    That is not the real Elvis. All people knows that Elvis lives in Las Vegas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha - maybe he was just visiting new york - being a tourist for a bit ;)

    ReplyDelete